Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Moliere's Tartuffe at The Space, Westferry Road, Isle of Dogs




The Remotegoat website favours fringe venues, which suits me fine. I decided recently that sooner than go haring off to Islington, Camden and other points north I'd explore venues more local to me - theatres other than perennial favourites The Brockley Jack and The Greenwich Playhouse. Luckily, I live near the DLR, and The Space in Westferry Road seemed a likely prospect, a shortish walk from Mudchute station on the Isle of Dogs.


It's a building that started out as a Presbyterian church; now it's ornate of facade and shabby inside. The performing space is oval with double rows of chairs spaced in double rows around it. There couldn't have been more than fifty.




I was keen to see a performance of the classic French classic, Tartuffe, by Moliere.

The show was rambunctious, to say the least, so the chases round the auditorium had the added frission of making the audience wonder if chairs would go flying, or actors or audience members. Not to mention all the trailing wires from the hi-tec refurbishment. The rehearsals must have been fraught.

Tartuffe continues until the 16th July. There's a restaurant and bar, which I didn't try, but will next time.

You can see the review on the Remotegoat site by clicking here.

No comments: