Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Kind of Co-dependency : Charles Dyer's  Mother Adam at Jermyn Street Theatre


Press nights at Jermyn Street Theatre seem to be packed with luvvies come to support their fellow thesps. They aren't hard to spot in the tiny 70 seat theatre down some steps in Jermyn Street. Last time I came it was for a musical version of She Stoops to Conquer, and I saw Stephen Fry and James Coden. The latter slept through the second half, which I thought was odd (and rude)  until I read that his wife had given birth to their first child three days before.

This time I saw one of my favourites, the actress who plays  Mrs Warboys in  One Foot in the Grave , in the row in front of me. Further along was another actress who played a very watchable Inspector Gina Gold in The Bill  Actors  certainly make an appreciative audience ; they know the hard work goes into making difficult parts acceptable, and always shout 'Bravo!' at the end.

Unlike the musical version of She Stoops to Conquer I saw here,  I wasn't so enthusiastic; but  a two-hander long enough to have an interval is a challenge for the  the actors . Speaking of intervals, I must say the white wine I half drank then was appalling. A saving grace was the Tesco Express opposite, on the corner of Jermyn and Lower Regent Street, where I bought a packet of spicy rice cakes and threw the wine and its plastic container into a bin. I don't think I should complain, though, because  if it weren't for the 'hospitality' I'd have to buy my own drink, or go without. Also, if the theatres didn't let me have a couple of free tickets in return for reviewing, I wouldn't be able to afford to go so often. Like the mother/son relationship depicted in the play, it's a kind of co-dependency.

Here's my review of the play on The Public Reviews website  


No comments: